Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My First Quiche

A few months ago a joined the MOPS group at my church, Christ Fellowship. It's a great place to meet other moms and it was good for helping me get through PPD. Every week a few tables are assigned to bring in food for everyone else. A couple of weeks ago my table had to bring in hot food. To be honest I was absolutely stumped and not thrilled about bringing in hot food. A fruit salad is much easier. I got this crazy idea to make a quiche. I had never made one before, so I did some research. I found the easiest recipe I could get and prayed it turned out good. It was a success! I thought I would share. Take a look at this easy bacon and cheese quiche

Ingredients

  • 1 (3 ounce) can bacon bits
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 5 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
  • 3 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 (9 inch) deep dish frozen pie crust
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup half-and-half cream

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, mix the bacon, onions, and both cheeses. Place this mixture in the unthawed pie crust.
  3. Mix the eggs and half and half in a bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese mixture.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 35 minutes, until top of quiche begins to turn brown.

There are some things I changed from the original recipe after reading many of the comments and deciding if it would really taste good or make a difference in the recipe.
1. When I saw bacon bits I thought "You gotta be kidding me. That can't be good". But I read that Oscar Meyers makes bacon bits that are real bacon. It's right next to the bacon bits. Awesome!
2. I changed up the cheese as well and used a bag of Sargento Parm & Romano cheese. But you can really put whatever cheese you want to.
3. I used a frozen pie crust by Pillsbury. The recipe says to use an unthawed crust, but mine was thawed as per the instructions on crust package. It came out delish! And 2 came in the same pack to make _______!
4. I don't know what lightly beaten eggs are, but mine where beaten until mixed well together.

Something I didn't change was the temperature and cooking times. They were spot on and the quiche came out perfect.

And Presto!

Yes, I had my arms inside a 350 degree oven.

It's so easy and simple to make for brunch, MOPS, or office meetings. My grandmother was over that week and she told me she made a quiche many years ago and it took forever to make. Probably why she never made it again. She loved this quiche as well and was surprised by how easy it was to make.

Since I love messing around with recipes so much, I think I may try sun dried tomatoes and sausage next time. Yum! Happy cooking!

2 comments:

  1. I have never made a quiche. I am going to try this. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete