Special Delivery!

Well, I surely didn't plan it this way. My husband was traveling for work for the summer and I decided to go with him. I was 5 months pregnant with twin girls. I had a very normal pregnancy until 4th of July weekend. It started out with chest pain like someone was sitting on me. A couple of days later on 7/13/10 I was having contractions and then the adventure started. My doctor confirmed the contractions and sent me to the hospital where they tried to stop them. A urine test confirmed I was in the beginning stages of preeclampcia. I was sent to another hospital that dealt with high-risk pregnancies. For three days I dealt with trouble breathing, fetal monitors, constant vital checks and blood tests, and the uncertainties of my health. I have never prayed so hard in my life. I was very woozy from the medications they gave me, but any chance of lucid thinking I had went to praying for the safety and health of myself and my daughters. The decision was made to have an emergency c-section at 3pm on 7/16. In a flash my girls were here and my life was changed forever, but we were far from going home.

Mimi came out first and she was breathing on her own, I heard a little cry from her. Sasa was next and she needed to be put on a ventilator right away. I didn't see them for 3 days after that and I refused to name them until I saw them. Those 3 days were just as terrible as the first 3 days. I was swollen beyond imagination. I was certain that my body wouldn't be back to normal (it did go back). When I finally visited Mimi and Sasa I was floored by how tiny they were. Mimi was 1lb 12oz and Sasa was 1lb 11oz. It was so hard seeing them that way. So helpless and in bad shape and there was nothing I could do. My whole world shattered. I was so upset with myself for not being able to carry them and for putting them in this position. I felt so inefficient as a mother. It was terrible. I started to prepare myself for the fact that God may choose to take my daughters home to Him. It was painful to think about, but it was a possibility.

Week after week we went to the hospital to be there for our girls and do what we could for them. Family members came and went. New friends were made and supported us as well. Watching them grow and get bigger was amazing. They were developing right in front of me! After 11 weeks in the NICU Mimi came home on 9/30/2010. I couldn't believe this day had come. It is now 1 week and 2 days past their due date and Sasa is still fighting in the NICU. I don't get to see her as often as I like since her sister came home. I miss her to pieces. When her lungs are healed and ready she will come home, too.

There are tons of details I left out, but I'm sure I got my point across. Keep praying for my little ones. We'll be home soon!