Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Our First Week Home!!! The Madness!!!

It's been a week since we have gotten home. It's been so crazy that I feel like I've been here for a month. Overwhelmed is not even close to how I feel. Sasa and I flew by medical transfer and got in at 6pm. It was a long day for us. Her oxygen tanks and apnea monitors weren't ready yet, so the EMT's had to stick around. When her equipment finally arrived I had to learn how to use it all. I was running on fumes by the time I finally went to bed. Thank God my friend spent the night with me. The next day we had Dr. appointments for both girls. I was so agitated, nothing was going my way, and nobody was listening to me. Everybody wanted to help, but I wasn't given the option of who can come and at what time. They wanted to be there for me, which is great, but I just wanted to be with my kids, my husband and Sasa's nurse. There were too many people, but nobody seemed to understand that. Moving on.

My house was a wreck for days!!!! My cat STILL had fleas. We tried to give him away to someone, but it didn't work out. My husband and I were getting bitten by them and we couldn't do anything about it. Finally I saw a flea crawling on Sasa's head Saturday morning and that was it. The only place that would take Britto, my cat, was the kill-shelter. I was heartbroken and felt so guilty for leaving him there. I was in tears on and off all day. I adopted him from a kill-shelter, only to put him back in one. He had a good chance of passing the initial tests and being put up for adoption, but he's not adopted in a certain amount of time he would be put down. They have killed over 11,000 cats this year already. I hesitated for so long to sign him away. I had him for 2 years since he was 2 months old and now I was sentencing him to his death. I always speak about him in the past-tense because I'm so sure that he was put down. He was such a loving and wonderful cat. the fleas were unbearable and the hair and dander is bad for my daughters lungs. I couldn't say goodbye to him without crying. I looked him in the eyes said "I love you", he meowed, and I left as quickly as I could. My father-in-law was with me and told me that just for a second he thought we were walking out of there with Britto. He also said that I made the right choice for my daughters, but why do I feel so bad? Why do I feel so guilty for leaving him there. I could've done better for him. So, later that day, we bombed the house to get rid of the fleas and spent the night cleaning and organizing.

Sunday we went to church after 5 long months of being away and what a great time we had. There were so many new faces!!! And some old ones, too. We took Mimi with us and carried her in my awesome BabyK'tan. She did so well! I put earplugs in her ears for the music and she slept the whole service through. It was so good to be back where we were familiar with.

Monday was another Dr. appointment for the synergis shot, which is VERY important for preemies to have. It protects them from getting RSV, which could be fatal to them. So glad we got that over with.

With all that has been done already, we still have things to do. It's never ending it seems like. I still feel horrible about what I did to Britto. Part of me wants to re-adopt him again. I still can't believe I did that to him. Sasa is not on a nebulizer yet and is increasing on  her nasal canula flow. Mimi is doing great, but she's a crybaby and keeps me busy. My house is slowly getting back to normal, but there is always something everyday. My air conditioner doesn't work and I live in FL, big problem. Finally, my hair is falling out and has gotten super thin. I can't go to the Dr. because Medicaid decided to close my case. Sometimes we just laugh at what is going on and we just keep on moving forward!!!


  1. Welcome to preemiehood! It will all work out! Better to be home and hectic than back in the NICU! My tip to you....COFFEE!! LOL

  2. Hang in there. If it gets too overwhelming, tell people you don't want visitors. We did that. We didn't allow any visitors (except those signed up to bring food and family) for the first month. (honestly it was like 1 or 2 a week. Also, I didn't go out with Parker for over a month (unless it was an appt for the DR). I was tired and exhausted and he was so tiny and I didn't want him to get sick.

    Sometimes the best thing you can do, is allow yourself some quiet time and time to enjoy your gals!

    Anyways, I hope you find some peace and quiet and normalcy! congrats on having them both home

  3. You have such an incredible story. I am so glad you are sharing it. Thank you for participating in the Fight for Preemies!

  4. Congrats on coming home!!
    I'm a mom to a preemie too, but not nearly as premature as yours. My little girl was a 36 weeker and 3lbs.
    You're very inspiring!! I got by on coffee and my my nursing degree. I don't know if I could do it with twins!!
    Your girls are beautiful. So are you!

  5. Congratulations on having both your babies home. I'm the mom of 24-week preemie twins. We had a lot of hard times, but I think the hardest was having one twin at home and the other still on the NICU. Stick to your house rules, be your babies' advocate and don't let people pressure you into visits you don't want or need. People mean well, but they don't always know how to do well. Best wishes to you and your family. I hope it helps to know that my little 24-weekers are now happy, healthy 19 year olds.

    1. Hi
      I have 24 week twins too. I have been in the nicu for 4 months and just so worn out. I know I shouldn't but I keep worrying about my boys future..their development. One has had intestine surgery, thirs degree brain bleed, has had seizures, pda ligation and has had rib bone fractures due to his weak bones. He has high risk of cerbral palsy but his development seem fine so far. My other som has had eye surgery, pda ligation and now may get a gtube. I feel so overwhelmed and stressed. I feel so horrible that they have to go through so much--my heart aches all the time. They may get discharged in a week to 3 weeks. Any tips or pointers?

  6. Take Folic Acid and Biotin vitamins for your hair. It really helps.

  7. Hi there!! My 2 & a half year old son was born severely premature & it is nice to meet you! If you have any questions or need to vent, I am happy to chat :) Please stop by my blog when you get the chance :)


  8. You killed your cat over some fleas? Horrible.